Why make backups? Backups of applications are always recommended, especially when the information stored inside is important (as is the case with Smart Service). Computers and applications are complex systems with many moving parts, often susceptible to outside factors including hardware failures, viruses, and even nature itself (fires, floods, etc.). With frequent backups, you’ll not only lose minimal data, but reduce the amount of time needed to recover from what could be a catastrophic loss.
Smart Service was built with a measure of protection against data loss. Smart Service’s SQL backend helps prevent certain day to day workstation occurrences (such as a laptop powering off or updates restarting the system while data is being entered) from affecting the database. However, we still recommended that the database itself is backed up to provide additional assurance that all bases are covered. For any backup, it is recommended that there are copies stored on a separate device than the main server or computer. This helps reduce loss in the event that the location of the database befalls some major calamity.
For suggestions on how best to back up Smart Service, refer below:
1.) Backups can be made manually from Smart Service.
- Click on File
- Click Backup. This will give you a prompt confirming that you wish to make a backup.
- Click OK. Depending on the size of your database, this process may take a few minutes to complete.
- These files can then be moved or copied.
2.) 3rd Party Backup Services
- Using 3rd party backups will allow you to easily schedule backups to be automatically created and saved.
- These backups can be directly saved to a separate device or even to a cloud storage unit and easily accessed in the event that data needs to be recovered or restored.
3.) Mixed Mode Backups
- Using a combination of the 2 backup methods listed above you can create backups manually but have them included in your system backup, storing them with your other data externally.